Name of Laboratory - Clinic: HYDRAULICS AND HYDRAULIC WORKS
Seat / Building: HYDRAULICS/Ground Floor
Abbreviation (optional):Number of Establishment’s Act /Government’s Gazette Number (FEK): FEK: ΒΔ 2-8-1958 FEK 121τΑ/14-8-1958
Year of Establishment: 1958
Director of Laboratory - Clinic (if appointed) /expiration date: P. PRINOS/31/08/2016
Person in charge of security of Laboratory - Clinic (if predicted and appointed):
Contact person (Name, capacity, tel., Email):
1. Educational and Research Subjects of Laboratory - Clinic
Fluid Mechanics, Experimental and Computational Fluid Mechanics, Turbulent flows, Theory and Models of turbulence, Unsteady flows, Hydraulics of closed conduits and open channels, Hydrometry and Hydraulic models, Environmental Hydraulics, Urban Hydraulics, Water supply and sewerage networks
2. Human Resources
P. Prinos, Professor
Fluid Mechanics, Turbulent Flows, Hydraulics of Closed conduits and Open channels, Urban Hydraulics, Water Supply systems
P. Anagnostopoulos, Professor
Fluid Mechanics, Unsteady Flows, Hydrometry and Hydraulic Similtude
M. Tsakiri, Ph.D Candidate, Environmental Hydraulics
D. Kokkinos, Ph.D Candidate, Climate change
B. Papaioannou, Ph.D Candidate, Environmental Hydraulics
E. Vaidou, PhD candidate - research
P. Vlachas, PhD candidate - research
J. Iliadis, PhD candidate – research
P. Vogiatzis, Post graduate student
Dr. P. Galiatsatou, Research Associate, Climate Change, Water Systems and Extreme Events
Dr. Theoharris Koftis, Research Associate, Hydraulics of Open Channels
Dr. A Stavridou, Research Associate, Environmental Hydraulics
Dr. I. Iordanidis, PhD, Research Associate
Dr. G. Paschalidis, PhD, Research Associate
3. Research activity of the Laboratory - Clinic (2010 – 2015)
· THALIS: Climate Change effects on the sea level and wave climate of the Geek seas, the vulnerability of coastal regions and the safety of coastal structures, 2012-2015, Project Coordinator Prinos P., Research Funding by European Social Fund, NSRF 2007-2013.
· THESEUS: Innovative technologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate, 2009-2013, Project Coordinator B. Zanuttigh, Research Supervisor Prinos P., Research Funding by EU, FP7 ENV2009-1 Large Integrated Project, Contract 244104.
· Laboratory Investigation of the Spillway Model at Nestorio Dam, Kastoria, 2011-2012, Project Coordinator P. Prinos, Service to the Ionios Com and Prefecture of Kastoria
· Laboratory Investigation of coastal protection schemes , 2012, , Project Coordinator P. Prinos, Service to Aftias Com. And Ministry of Environment of Cyprus
· Laboratory Investigation of the flow in the Flo-Channel Tank Module of Atlantis Corp. Ltd, 2012, Project Coordinator P. Prinos, Service to Private Company
4. Educational activity
Teaching of compulsory and elective compulsory courses
Fluid Mechanics (3ο semester), Hydraulics (4ο semester), Water Supply and Sewerage (5th semester)
Design of Water supply and Sewerage systems (8th semester)
Teaching of selective courses
Numerical Methods in Hydraulics and Hydraulic Facilities (8ο semester, Hydrometry and Hydraulic Models (9ο semester), Unsteady flows (9ο semester)
Hydraulics (4ο semester), Hydrometry and Hydraulic Models (9ο semester)
Πασχαλίδης Γεώργιος (2015)
Simulation of sediment transport in a basin downstream of a dam.
Σταυρίδου Αναστασία (2011)
Investigation of natural ventilation of buildings with computational and laboratory simulation: impact on architectural design.
Δικάρου Χρυσάνθη (2010)
Numerical study of oscillatory flow past an array of four cylinders.
Ιορδανίδης Ηλίας (2010)
Investigation of nitrate pollution in a river basin from rural activities.
Σουλιώτης Δημήτριος (2010)
Effect of vegetation on turbulent flow in open channel.
Γαλιατσάτου Παναγιώτα (2009)
Statistical modelling methods of extreme events: additional applications to storm surge, rainfall and wave.
5. Sustainability and Development
A three-year development plan that includes the services provided and the possible ways of funding its operating costs.
6. Particular Achievements (2010 – 2015)
The incoming funds, based on the abovementioned projects, were about 450000 Euro.
7. Certification - Accreditation
Type-Name Body-Organization- Duration
8. Services provision to third parties
The laboratory provides services to Organizations, public and private companies in areas relevant to
Educational and research subjects of the laboratory.
9. Potential Collaborations / Synergies with other Laboratories
The laboratory collaborates with the other laboratories of the Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering Department of the Civil Engineering Faculty in teaching and educational activities and with the Laboratory of Maritime Engineering and Maritime Works in research.