Environmental Engineering and Planning
Name of Laboratory - Clinic: Laboratory of Environmental Engineering & Planning
Seat / Building: Building of the Hydraulics & Environmental Engineering Division
Abbreviation (optional): LEEP
Number of Establishment’s Act /Government’s Gazette Number (FEK): FEK: P.D. 306, FEK 269, Part Α, 11/11/02
Year of Establishment: 1982
Director of Laboratory - Clinic (if appointed) /expiration date: Konstantinos L. Katsifarakis/31-08-2018
Person in charge of security of Laboratory - Clinic (if predicted and appointed):
1. Educational and Research Subjects of Laboratory - Clinic
LEEP contributes to the educational and research activities of the Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering (D.H.E.E.) of the Department of Civil Engineering, AUTH. It has also an active role in the Master's degree program "Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development" on issues related to management and treatment of water, wastewater and solid waste. In addition, the lab supports the implementation of experimental graduate and postgraduate theses (or parts of them), doctoral and postdoctoral research, as well as funded research programs.
In particular, LEEPs’ educational and research subjects focus in: a) the control and management of water and waste (sewerage, sewage, industrial, solid, hazardous, toxic waste), b) the spatial planning and design of the required facilities, c) the quality control of surface water, groundwater and d) the marine and coastal environment. The study of water supply and sewerage networks, the environmental design, the simulation of water resources pollution, the environmental impact assessment and environmental risk assessment, ecotoxicology, air pollution and environmental education issues complement the educational and research subjects of LEEP.
2. Human Resources
Konstantinos L. Katsifarakis, Professor
Athanassios Kungolos, Professor
Efthymios Ntarakas, Associate Professor
Antigoni Zafeirakou, Assistant Professor
Samir Mpagiouk, SES
Domniki Ioannidou, LTS
Anastasia Mpellou-Stoupa, LTS
Maria Petala, LTS
Vasilios Tsiridis, LTS
Eva Ramos Martinez, PhD
St. Giannakis, PhD
3. Research activity of the Laboratory - Clinic (2010 – 2015)
- Ecotoxicity assessment of solid samples using the test organism - indicator Daphnia magna, Budget: 14589,52 €, duration: 16/10/2015-29/2/2016, funded by: Joint Venture ENVIROPLAN S.A.. – EPEM S.A.- ENVECO Α.Ε.
- Ecotoxicity study of Alpha-cypermethrin, budget: 1230,00 €, duration: 10/06/2015-30/11/2015, funded by: VIORYL S.A.
- Technical survey of ecotoxicity analyses of agrochemicals, budget: 861,00 €, duration: 19/05/2015-30/09/2015, funded by: VIORYL S.A.
- Ecotoxicity assessment of seawater samples, budget: 360,00 € duration: 16/05/2014-15/05/2014, funded by: ELONA MARITIME COMPANY.
- Chemical analyses of water, budget: 630,00 €, duration: 01/10/2014-30/09/2015, funded by: KASTRA INTERNATIONAL LTD.
- Chemical analyses of water and wastewater, Π/Υ: 1316,10 €, duration: 27/05/2014-31/12/2015, funded by: Hydromanagement, Tsiouri Bros, Hellenic Steel Company S.A.
- Sampling and analyses of solid wastes from Hellenic Steel Company S.A., budget: 7872,00 €, duration: 28/2/2014-31/12/2014, funded by: Hellenic Steel Company S.A.
- Study of the effect of seawater in the area of "SEA DIAMOND" shipwreck on the marine organisms Vibrio fischeri and Brachionus plicatilis. Budget: 7.449,00 €, duration: 13/02/2015-15/06/2015, funded by: ELONA MARITIME COMPANY.
- Ecotoxicity analyses of wastewater effluents, budget: 480,00 €, duration: 1/12/2015-29/02/2016, funded by: Intergeo S.A.
- Ecotoxicity analyses of treated wastewater, budget: 3.429,00 €, duration: 12/02/2015-31/12/2016, funded by: Hellenic Petroleum S.A.
- Ecotoxicity analyses of agrochemicals, budget: 1845,00 €, duration: 13/05/2013-15/07/2013, funded by: VIORYL S.A.
- Implementation and maintenance of Quality Management System ISO 9001:2008 in LEEP, budget: 4674,00 €, duration: 17/12/2012-31/12/2015, funded by: ΕLKE AUTH, Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering.
- Implementation and maintenance of Quality Management System in LEEP, budget: 3752,00 €, duration: 15/4/2016-15/4/2018, funded by: ELKE AUTH, LEEP AUTH.
- Biocide management for long term water storage, duration: 1/1/2014-31/12/2015, funded by: European Space Agency (ESA).
- COST ACTION ES1205: Engineered NanoMaterials (ENMs) from wastewater Treatment & stormwatEr to Rivers, duration: 2012-2017, funded by: EU, FP7.
- COST ACTION MP1204: Modelling nanomaterials toxicity, duration: 2011-2016, funded by: EU, FP7.
- Joint Operational Project “Research networking for the environmental monitoring and mitigation of adverse ecological effects in the Black Sea Basin – BSB-NetEco”, duration: 2013-2015.
4. Educational activity
Undergraduate level courses:
a) Core courses
· Water Supply and Sewerage Systems-Irrigation (5th semester)
· Environmental Engineering (6th semester)
b) Elective courses
· Special Topics on Design of Water supply and Sewerage Networks (8th semester)
· Processes of Water Treatment and Wastewater (9th semester)
· Wastewater treatment engineering (9th semester)
· Municipal solid waste management (10th semester)
· Environmental and Energy Policy in the European Union (10th semester)
· Environmental Chemistry, Microbiology and Biochemistry (10th semester)
Postgraduate level courses in postgraduate program entitled “Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development”
· Environmental management and assessment
· Systems and technologies for waste management
· Fundamentals of Environmental Chemistry
Stefanos Giannakis (2014) "Solar disinfection of secondary effluent and the subsequent bacterial regrowth: considerations, limitations and environmental perspectives".
Diploma theses (Undergraduate level)
28 undergraduate level diploma theses have been implemented, while LEEP lab has supported many experimental diploma theses of other Division labs.
· Vagia Aik. (2010) “Assessment of particulate matter from solid transshipment processes in ThPA”
· Magana Μ. (2010), “Operational problems of sewerage and suggested solutions”
· Mavridou S. (2010) “Environmental evaluation of conventional building materials using life cycle analysis and multicriteria analysis”
· Gaitanelis E. (2012) “Improvement of energy and environmental performance of tourist infrastructure by means of geothermal heat pumps.-Application to Sani Hotel”
· Manoussaridis G. (2012), “Investigation of the most suitable coagulant for the optimum chemical clarification of the effluent of Thessaloniki’s sanitary landfill leachate treatment plant”
· Basdeki Aik. (2012) “Τreatment of chemical analyses’ data from wells in Larisa Prefecture,Greece”
· Tavlaridis D. (2014), “Toxic and hazardous waste management in Greece – Current situation – Recommended actions”
· Lapavitsas Α. (2015) “Small settlements’ wastewater management and treatment using natural methods. Artificial wetlands potential in the prefecture of Imathia”
· Logothetis D. (2015), «Integrated management of municipal solid waste in Municipality of Almopia»
· Megas D. (2015), «Solid waste mining facilities: Basic design principles of management and construction»
· Xanitidou F. (2015), "The necessity for SMA"
· Tzomaka Β. (2015), “Operational characteristics assessment of WWTP of Ioannina”
· Tsitouridis Χ. (2015), «Present municipal solid waste management in the area of Thessaloniki and future potential”
5. Sustainability and Development
LEEP fully meets the educational needs of undergraduate and postgraduate (Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development) level of studies. Regarding the research activities, the last two years the infrastructure was upgraded by: a) installation of a fume gas duct b) installation of a bench (length 2.4 m), c) acquisition of dissolved oxygen meter and selective electrodes, and d) electrocoagulation accessories.
Main operational needs of LEEP include expenditures for equipment, consumables and maintenance of the applied Quality Management System according to ISO9001:2008. So far, part of expenditure costs are covered by national budget of AUTh, ELKE AUTh (Research Committee of AUTh), as well as by services to third parties provided by LEEP. A three-year development plan that includes the services provided and the possible ways of funding is presented in Annex I. The services provided by LEEP are demonstrated in paragraph 8 of this document.
6. Particular Achievements (2010 – 2015)
Brief report on significant patents, incoming funds, distinctions, awards etc.
7. Certification - Accreditation
Quality management system according to standard ISO9001:2008 in the field:
“Quality assessment of water, wastewater and solid waste”
(No of certificate: DE-506944 QM08)
Duration: 5-4-2013 until 4-4-2016 (next evaluation has been planned).
8. Services provision to third parties
LEEP may provide services to third parties that are related to environmental protection and management, such as:
Water chemical analyses
Wastewater chemical analyses
Solid waste chemical analyses
Solid waste characterization according to EU Decision 2003/33/EC
Municipal solid waste classification and quantification
Solid waste management
Monitoring and optimization of WWTPs’ operation
Monitoring and optimization of chlorination in water distribution systems
Ecotoxicity analyses / Toxicity assessment of wastewater, solid waste and chemical substances using test organisms as indicators
Technical reports on quality assessment of water, wastewater, solid waste, substances, mixtures, etc.
Assessment of environmental risk /risk to humans according to 1907/2006/ΕC
Computational modeling of water pollution
9. Potential Collaborations / Synergies with other Laboratories
Existing collaborations with other AUTH labs:
- Laboratory of Water Resources Engineering and Management, Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering
- Laboratory of Hydraulics and Hydraulic works, Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering
- Laboratory of Maritime Engineering and Maritime works, Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering
- Laboratory of Building Materials, Division of Structural Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering
- Laboratory of Solid State Physics, Division of Solid State Physics, Department of Physics
- Laboratory of General and Inorganic Chemical Technology, Division of Chemical Technology and Industrial Chemistry, Department of Chemistry
Potential collaborations with other labs:
- Laboratory of General Chemical Technology, Division of Technologies, Department of Chemical Engineering, AUTH
- Laboratory of Applied Soil Science, Division of Hydraulics, Soil science and Agricultural Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture, AUTH
- Laboratory of Environmental Pollution Control, Division of Physical, Analytical and Environmental Chemistry, Department of Chemistry
- FluIng Multidisciplinary Research Group, Institute for Multidisciplinary Mathematics, Department of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, Spain
ANNEX Ι. A THREE-YEAR DEVELOPMENT PLAN THAT INCLUDES THE SERVICES PROVIDED AND THE POSSIBLE WAYS OF FUNDING ITS OPERATING COSTS (2016-2018)
Α. EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES IN GRADUATE AND POST GRADUATE LEVEL
Upgrading – expansion of lab exercises
Planning of new lab exercises (i.e. water & wastewater treatment processes including electro-coagulation, flotation and enrichment of the analytical methods used for the assessment of water & wastewater quality, etc.)
1. Description of certain ideas
2. Planning of lab exercises
3. Appraisal of the necessary consumables and equipment - cost analysis
4. Decision upon availability of required consumables and equipment
5. Establishment of new methods
6. Verification of their operation
7. Students’ training
Academic staff of the lab
Stages 1-6: 2016-2017
Stage 7: Sept. 2017
Establishment of new methods/ methodologies
Revision, improvement and enrichment of lab courses
Revision and improvement of documents regarding lab exercises, as well as addition of new lab exercises, as demonstrated in the previous action
1. Revision of documents regarding lab exercises
2. Addition of new lab exercises
Academic staff of the lab
Addition of new exercises: 2017-2018
Updated/ improved manual for the lab exercises
B. RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Find resources
- Invest resources to improve/upgrade laboratory infrastructure
- Maintenance of Certification
- Expand research activities
Participation in national and European research programs
Participation in research proposals’ submission
Co-operation with public and private sector
Continuous upgrading and expansion of lab services
Service provision projects
Maintenance of Certification ISO9001:2008 and upgrading to ISO9001:2015
- Research program calls tracing
- Participation of the academic staff to Conferences, scientific networks, in order to demonstrate lab’s activities and find new partners/ cooperation
- Find new partners starting from collaborating third parties
- Submission of research proposals
- Lab operation according to ISO9001:2015
Academic staff of the lab
New funding resources
Full coverage of the operational expenditures of the lab
Writing of scientific papers, in order to diffuse and demonstrate lab activities
Support Doctoral Theses
Support students’ training and education
Upgrade/ expand lab services